eCommerce Leadership Executive
I am an experienced eCommerce leader who has been fortunate enough to have led ecommerce launches for some of the largest, coolest, and well-known brands in the world. As an ecommerce innovator who can seamlessly develop a strategic vision and build it into a business roadmap, my experience helps me to analyze the technical and business impact of functional solution implementation – and then lead a team to deliver on that vision. My experience allows me to organize and prioritize business objectives, turning them into requirements based on my own knowledge and understanding of ecommerce best practices while taking into consideration the trends and future direction of the ecommerce industry as a whole. My intimate knowledge of several ecommerce platforms and years of technical implementations is a valuable asset during planning and budgeting exercises. I have a tremendous amount of experience with building entire ecommerce organizations from scratch, defining roles and responsibilities, and implementing processes to help with efficiency in all aspects of the ecommerce business model. I take pride in getting the most out of any team I lead, and I strongly believe in empowering the individuals to contribute to the creativity and final definition of a solution while putting people in a position where they will thrive. My eCommerce leadership and years of industry expertise helps when negotiating with vendors and business partners. And my ecommerce mentoring experience makes me a valuable resource for business users to rely on, while my technical background makes me a person that peers trust and enjoy working with.
- eCommerce Solution Delivery Executive
- eCommerce Solution Architect / Program Manager / Project Manager
- eCommerce Leadership Consultant
- Automotive / Motorcycle / Manufacturing
- Shoes / Clothing / Specialty / Outdoors
- Sports Accessories / Retail Products
- IBM WebSphereCommerce, ATG, Hybris, Magento, BigCommerce, Shopify
- Solr / Omniture / Adobe Search
- Product Information Management / SAP MDM / IBM MDM
- Order Management Solutions (Sterling, Yantra, Netsuite)
- Payment Processing Solutions (Cybersource / Chase Paymentech)
- Tax Solutions (Vertex, Avalara)
- Image / Asset Solutions (Adobe Scene7)
- Community Solutions (BazaarVoice, BoldChat)
- Enterprise Marketing Solutions (Unica, Silverpop)
- eCommerce Merchandising Solutions (personalization / targeted marketing / Monetate)
Key Roles / Engagements
|Harley-Davidson.com/store||eCommerce Leadership Consultant / Solution Arch||Manage overall program for enterprise eCommerce start-up for global brand, strong community ecommerce site|
|Caterpillar||eCommerce Leadership Consultant / Solution Arch||Current state assessment, roadmap creation and organizational structuring|
|DSW.com||Project Manager||Managed large ATG ecommerce start-up implementation|
PROFESSIONAL AND BUSINESS EXPERIENCE
Caterpillar Parts Store – eCommerce Leadership Consultant / Solution Architect (2013-Present)
Engaged in leading strategic planning efforts for Caterpillar Parts Store, a global B2C and B2B business supporting nearly 200 dealers and millions of customers around the world selling parts to Cat machines. Initial work included a current state assessment of the ecommerce business and identifying gaps in product data architecture, brand / marketing, merchandising, end to end operations, fulfillment, customer support, technology, and internal ecommerce leadership. Upon completion of the initial assessment, work has been focused on planning, budgeting, and implementing those recommendations in an effort to improve the overall ecommerce business and to set and meet sales goals in line with long term roadmap and strategic vision.
- Work with Caterpillar leadership team to define ecommerce strategy, business and operational models
- Implement improvements based on initial ecommerce assessment, leading internal team based on improving operational efficiencies and prioritizing future scope according to strategic roadmap and goals.
- Mentor internal leadership team to create annual budget and manage ecommerce specific P&L for that line of business
- Created high level project plans based on monthly sprint plans in an Agile / Waterfall hybrid project
- Manage all internal business and technical resources to improve quality – better requirements, better data, more efficient design & technical development, and improved testing processes as well as excellent release management.
- Supervise team of business analysts to document requirements and to create functional Axure prototypes, and ensure traceability of requirements through to development and release management, for web and mobile delivery.
- Train business leadership team to create RFP’s for vendor selection purposes, and negotiate vendor contracts using insight from my years of industry experience to obtain best pricing and rates for software and services.
- Integrated a team of QA experts and empowered business users to reduce and improve defect remediation.
Harley-Davidson.com/store – eCommerce Leadership Consultant / Solution Architect (2010-2013)
Lead overall delivery of eCommerce start-up, including organizational design and strategy definition, roadmap, scoping and technology planning, as well as vendor selection / contract negotiation of software and services for complete implementation and launch of an IBM WebSphere Commerce based ecommerce business for the Harley-Davidson ecommerce business. Managed global team of ~60 resources on the planning, design, development and implementation of a highly complex and customized end to end eCommerce system based on brand heavy and unique business model. Emphasizing best practices and excellent user experience, the re-launch of site took sales from $50k/month to $50m in first full year and is on pace of over $100m this year.
- Defined business and operational models for start-up eCommerce line of business, identifying resource gaps, interviewing and hiring resources to fill internal roles such as merchandising, marketing, operations, fulfillment, and customer service. I was also the resource to mentor those new roles to help them using my own prior experiences.
- Evaluated and selected ecommerce platform and created roadmap / scope document needed for project approval.
- Lead vendor selection, contract negotiation, and business partner process for project (software and services).
- Created and prioritized high level project plans based on monthly sprint plans in a hybrid Agile / Waterfall approach.
- Worked with business team to guide requirements based on eCommerce industry trends and best practices.
- Managed technical delivery team of H-D in-house and contractor architects, developers, and designers, U.S. based and offshore, to build functionality as needed to deliver the solution, as well as led QA testing team to ensure quality.
- Worked with business to balance scope between brand-focused marketing team and strong user experience presence.
- Provided single point of contact to internal leadership team with regular progress updates, budget trending / burn rates, mitigating issues and risks, and managing scope while identifying enhancements and change requests.
Campmor.com – Solution Architect / Project Manager (2008-2010)
Managed technical delivery of IBM WebSphere Commerce upgrade project from v5.6.1 to v6, with site redesign and additional ecommerce functionality. Project had an extremely tight timeline and budget, and scope management and project planning was a key component despite some very complex changes being made and the initial poor quality product data that we were working with. The new site, released in time for holiday season 2009, increased sales by over 500% in first year.
- Managed U.S. based and offshore technical resources to expedite high quality solution delivery
- Created estimates, project plans and resource plans to ensure scope definition and strict budgetary restraint
- Worked closely with Campmor business users to help define internal processes, and to train team on merchandising, marketing, operational and fulfillment best practices.
- Trained business users in IBM Commerce product business tooling (Management Center, Scene7, product data architecture, and order management / customer care tools).
DSW.com – Solution Architect / Project Manager (2007-2008)
Managed technical delivery of start-up eCommerce site for DSW, a large national shoe retailer, leading both in-house and ATG solution delivery technical teams. Worked very closely to train other DSW ecommerce business team members, including product buyers, merchandising, marketing, order fulfillment. I managed the technical delivery project plan, working with the others in the business team to identify and prioritize scope, and to manage technical defects (HP Quality Center) while also owning Analytics strategy (Coremetrics) and business data management tooling for DSW.
- Defined business requirements to create technical project plans, and managed technical resources to deliver functionality on time and within budget.
- Trained team on business user tooling, including data management, imagery, and page content.
- Used eCommerce analytics tooling to aid in business intelligence, making recommendations and decisions around proven customer data to improve user experience and merchandising and marketing quality.
FansTeamShop.com – Founder / Owner (2009-2013)
Start-up ecommerce site based on the very passionate sports and tailgating community, using the Magento ecommerce platform. Product assortment was based on items that a sports fan would want to order for hosting parties at home or at a sports stadium, and marketing emphasis was on social media, blogging, community engagement, and cool, trendy products. As a side business, it was a success to the point where I sold the business because it was too much to manage while maintaining other work and family commitments.
- Handled all aspects of running this site, from design and development, to marketing, merchandising, and order management as well as customer service.
- This was one in a series of ecommerce businesses that I have owned and managed over the years, but definitely the one I was most passionate about and for that reason, was the most successful as well. I had several strategic partnerships with sports accessory companies, and was multi-channel in that I used Amazon, Ebay and other outlets to market these products and to share content with the community.